Over the time, I have collected some links to websites and articles with topics interesting for Software Architects. Since they might be of interest for others, too, I am providing them here for you. If you also have some links which you think are interesting for other Software Architects, please let me know.
„Coding the Architecture“ is a website and community for hands-on, pragmatic software architects. Here you’ll find content and discussion about architecture and the role of an architect, along with our experiences of undertaking that role.
The site is worth browsing through the different articles, providing practical approaches to topics related to software architecture.
- „Why do we need Software Architecture„
- „The role of the Software Architect„
- „How to document Software Architecture„
The goal of this site is to not only provide a portal to useful and pragmatic software design and career related topics, but to also deliver articles, editorials, presentations, and news on the same.
Although the title of this site reads like providing special guidance for .NET related Software Architecture, many articles cover topics more related to the role of an Software Architect. However, also best practices for designing solutions for special topics are provided.
- What Does it Mean to be a Software Architect? (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- The Hard Skills are the Soft Skills
- The Passage from Developer to Architect
- Architectural Decisions and Their Consequences (Part 1, Part 2)
- Becoming an Architect (Summary Presentation)
- Anti-Patterns: The Top 10 List, The Human Factor
This Architecture Developer Center is the place to access to all our information without being subscribed to our other channels. You also get blogged opinions from renowned architects (MS architects or external luminaries), 5-to-10-minute videos , and discussion forums where you might share thoughts with your colleagues.
This center is a place where you can get architecture ideas to be implemented either in the Microsoft platform or any other. We will also show you what the current Microsoft platform is and what its roadmap looks like.
Microsoft’s central starting point for architecture related topics.
- The Architecture Journal provides in-depth articles to certain topics, e.g. the role of an Software Architect or other more technical topics
- The patterns & practices group provides guidance for Microsoft related technologies including Documentation and sample implementations of certain patterns, e.g. here can you find a List of Microsoft patterns and practices for Application Architecture and Design, or also have a look at Composite Client Application Guidance which can „help you design and build flexible client applications using loosely coupled, independently evolvable pieces that work together and are integrated into the overall application“.
Software architecture is getting a lot of attention. Is it just the silver bullet du jour? We think not. It surely is critical to today’s business success, yet it requires technical, business and organizational talents and skills that warrant their own path of career development, education, and research.
This site organizes a variety of resources to help enterprise architects and software architects deepen and expand their understanding of architecture and the role of the architect.
- General Link List for Software Architecture related topics
- Link list to articles related to the role of an Software Architect
- What is Software Architecture?
- Why do we need Software Architecture?
The conflict between Planners and Workers in the film Metropolis can serve as a metaphor for the divide between architects and developers in the software industry. A veteran who’s been on both sides has some suggestions for bridging the gap.
Presentation from Ron Jacobs, Architect, Microsoft Corporation at the Microsoft Architect Inside Conference 2007